When Do I Send out My Wedding Invitations?
It’s one of the most commeon wedding planning questions I get, so let’s get to the answer! For the most part, it’s pretty straight forward, but we’ll explore some things to consider.
If you’re looking for a quick visual, skip to the end, we have an infographic to pin to Pinterest 🙂
Like many things in the wedding planning world, we’re going to start at the end and work our way backwards:
- 1 – 2 Weeks before the wedding – Your guest counts will be due to your venue, caterer, and other vendors
- 2-3 Weeks before your counts are due – When your RSVP due date should be (make sure to give yourself 1-2 weeks “buffer” to follow up with those still missing
- 4 Weeks before the RSVP due date – Mail out your wedding invitations
Four weeks?! I know, that sounds like so much time, doesn’t it? But the post office isn’t called “snail mail” for nothing and in the last few years, the “snail” has gotten slower. So let’s figure a week for the invitations to get to your guests and another week for the response cards to be returned to you. Four weeks now doesn’t seem so long.
Other Questions about Mailing Wedding Invitations:
- Should I mail out international invitations earlier?
Yes – maybe a week or two earlier. Please also make sure they you’ve determined what additional postage might be needed!
2. Can I send my invites out earlier than 4 weeks before the RSVP due date?
Sure, but PLEASE don’t send them out more than 6 weeks before the RSVP day. If you send out your wedding invitations too early, your response rate is going to go down significantly. The longer your guests have the invitations, the longer you are giving your guests to forget to return the response cards.
2. What about a destination wedding? Should your invitations be mailed earlier for a destination wedding?
If you are having a destination wedding, I suggest that you send out save the dates at least 6 – 8 months before the wedding. Then send out your invitations 8 weeks before the wedding. If you aren’t sending out save the dates, send your wedding invitations 6 – 8 weeks before a destination wedding. Everyone who is close enough to you to travel to a destination wedding knows when your wedding is and has already made plans.
If you scrolled to the end for the fast answer, send out wedding invitations 8 weeks before your wedding date!
Here is a pinnable infographic to help you figure out your date!